From the day we are born, we are storing toxins. Our bones, brains, organs, blood, and fat store toxins of all kinds unless we are vigilant about detoxing them.
Our bodies are naturally designed to detoxify toxins, but the amount of chemical toxins we are exposed to on a daily basis far exceeds what our body is capable of removing on its own.
Short Term & Long Term Problems
With bones specifically, toxins like fluoride, displace minerals like calcium, which will result in weaker bones. We need healthy bone mass for lifelong mobility. Chemicals have taken up space where calcium should have resided so not only will our bones become weaker, but we now have another problem. As we age and our bones lose density, those original toxins are now released BACK into the bloodstream causing toxic reactions all over again. The circulation of this toxin continues.
The biggest problem with toxins is that they inhibit your natural ability to detoxify. This becomes a never-ending dark hole. Once your organs – specifically your gut, liver, and kidneys – are damaged from toxins , they have a really hard time doing their job…which is to help your body detox.
Maybe you’ve never thought about this before – or maybe you don’t care, but if you’ve read this far, I’m betting there’s something inside you telling you to pay attention to this.
Toxins Will Impact Your Systems
- Endocrine disruptors negatively impact the endocrine system (thyroid, pineal gland, adrenals, etc.) because many of these chemicals mimic the real hormone at the cell receptor site. So your body is binding to toxins instead of its natural hormone which sends mixed signals to the system and causes reproductive, neurological, and immune system issues. Currently, there are 1,500 chemicals identified as endocrine disruptors.
- Obesogens cause obesity. When people try to lose weight, very rarely are obesogens considered as a primary driver of weight gain (or the inability to lose weight). Obesogens can increase the number and size of fat cells and if that weren’t bad enough, these toxins can also mess with your metabolism and fat retention capacity. Because of the protective nature of our body, our fat cells will literally hold on to certain “fat loving” chemicals to prevent them from circulating in the body.
- Developmental toxins are toxins that can have an adverse effect on a developing organism (i.e., your children). Here’s the thing though…exposures can happen prior to conception, during fetal development, or after birth up to the time of sexual maturation.
- Neurotoxins will destroy your nervous system. Toxins like lead, mercury (in silver dental fillings), arsenic (in a lot of public water systems), and fluoride (in water, toothpaste, and dental treatments) are neurotoxins.
- Reproductive toxins lead to miscarriages, infertility, sterility, issues with normal reproduction, and may cause birth defects.
- Carcinogens cause cancer.
What Can Be Done?
Many people will have a doomsday attitude when information about toxins is shared with them, but there’s SO MUCH THAT CAN BE DONE! Hooray!
We will never be able to eliminate 100% of environmental toxins so it’s better to not stress about that part and to focus energy on what can be controlled within our means.
First, start by reducing the toxins and chemical exposures that you come into contact with. Here is a short list to get started:
- Use stainless steel reusable bottles instead of toxic plastic bottles. My favorite companies are Hydro Flask and Fifty Fifty, but there are literally hundreds to choose from on Amazon.
- Use a more natural cleaner – Bleach, Clorox products, and other mainstream cleaners are extremely irritating and are endocrine disruptors and neurotoxins
- Switch to using stainless steel and cast iron cookware
- Start buying more organic produce
Next, prepare your body for detoxification. There’s no need worrying about getting rid of toxins unless your systems are a GO. Click this link to give this Non-Tox smoothie a try to start releasing some of those built-up toxins naturally!
Have you signed up for the waitlist for my upcoming Non-Toxic Living membership yet? If you’re ready to cleanse your body (the right way), dive into toxic solutions, and start THRIVING at life then this membership is for you!