Roasted Beet & Mandarin Orange Salad
Nutrient-dense end of season salad for optimal health using garden beets and mandarin oranges.
6 medium-sized beets
1 head of green leaf lettuce
5 mandarin oranges, peeled, with each slice cut in half
2 cups organic strawberries, sliced
1/2 red onion, sliced into rings
1 cup pepitas, toasted
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
salt and pepper
- To prepare the beets, place a large pot of water on high heat on the stovetop and place in whole beets (skin can be on, but cut off the stems). Bring water to a boil and then simmer for around 30 minutes or until beets are tender enough for a fork to pierce. Drain from hot water and allow to cool before further handling.
- Preheat oven to 375º just prior to starting the next step.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, use a paring knife to gently slide off all the skin. Chop beets into bite-sized pieces and place on a lined baking sheet. Drizzle with half the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 20 minutes or until balsamic vinegar has caramelized.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While beets are roasting, assemble the rest of the salad.
- To toast the pepitas and to bring out their rich, nutty flavor, place pepitas in a skillet over medium to low heat and allow to dry toast until fragrant and pepitas get a toasted look. This takes 3-4 minutes. Do not overcook.
- Mix the cooled beets into the rest of the salad. Dress the salad with the remaining olive oil, red wine vinegar, and additional salt and pepper, if desired. Sprinkle the toasted pepitas on top.